Department/Group: Headquarters / Laboratory
Location: Houma, Louisiana (Relocation Required)
Level/Salary Range: Senior / Salary Depends on Experience and Qualifications
Hiring Contact: Nicole B. Emerson
Job Start Date: Feb 2018
Level: Senior Level – Chief
Travel Required: Some travel required
Position Type: Full-Time Lead Engineer and Business Development
Date Posted: 1/1/18
Posting Expires: 1/30/18
Applications Accepted By:
Subject Line: Partek Job Application
Attn: Nicole Emerson
225 South Hollywood Rd.
Houma, LA 70360
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position has responsibility for providing daily expert technical oversight and project management for the optimization of all mechanical engineering tests, material-selection recommendations, thermal treatment processes, and standard weld procedure specifications. Works to ensure metallurgical integrity of all engineering work and provides customer technical expertise and assistance in the resolution of problems associated with the manufacture of existing and new products and equipment. Responsibilities include:
- Develop metallurgical testing standards, technical instructions, and procedures in order to ensure that all metallurgical activities are in alignment with industry standards and customer requirements.
- Provide technical specifications for thermal treatment and material selection including setting of general policy, determining of proper procedures/work instructions, and training of associates and client representatives as needed.
- Provide guidance, recommendations and test specifications to staff related to mechanical and metallurgical analysis work and establish appropriate support to optimize laboratory and testing processes.
- Work with clients to help resolve issues, which inhibit product flow as well as trouble shooting metallurgical challenges that affect production operations.
- Manage and interpret customer product metallurgical characteristics, and use sound engineering judgement to make decisions on non-conformances and recommend corrective actions and deviation needs because of a non-conforming product not meeting either customer or industry standards.
- Provide all metallurgical training needed for associates to understand and perform their job functions.
- Investigate new material testing, failure analysis and heat treat technology and equipment. This includes supporting the development of financial justification and development of technical specifications for customer projects.
- Utilize own knowledge base to identify, develop, and carry out project ideas for overall improvement of quality, performance, and/or cost structure.
- Act as trusted customer advisor and liaison with metallurgical resources and serve as an interface with customers at a technical level.
- Perform damage analysis & prepare reports with recommendations, solutions, and corrective actions.
- Schedule all product fatigue/wear-life testing as well as schedule metallurgical and/or mechanical failure testing with outside labs.
- Develop standard engineering welding procedures for SMAW, GTAW (TIG), GMAW (MIG), and FCAW welding processes consistent with proven engineering practices (AWS) and approve all changes/deviations.
- Design procedures and conduct various material identification operations including but not limited to Positive Material Identification (PMI), Grade Identification, Field Metallographic Replication, Microhardness (Vickers & Knoop) testing, Macrohardness (Rockwell & Brinell) testing, and Metallographic Examination.
- Utilize photographic archival equipment conduct failure analysis utilizing advanced testing tools and procedures to perform tests and analysis including fractography, X-Ray Mapping & Profiling, Chemical Analysis, Color Metallography, Macro & Micro Photography, Corrosion Testing, and Diffusible Hydrogen Tests.
- Design testing procedures and supervise various mechanical testing operations including but not limited to compression, bond, charpy impact, drop weight, hardness, tensile (yield, ultimate tensile and elongation).
- Develop and maintain a quality assurance program meets the requirements of the API Q2, ISO, ASTM, AWS, DNV, ASNT, as well as military, federal specifications and others.
Knowledge of Industry Metallurgical and Mechanical testing Standards & Practices
15 + years demonstrated leadership and metallurgical/mechanical engineering experience. Other skills include:
- Problem-solving capability
- Experience in manufacturing environment and in improvement projects
- Ability to perform metallurgical and/or mechanical/chemical testing
PREVIOUS JOB EXPERIENCES
Applicant must have a strong background in materials and metallurgical engineering and have been involved in the development, testing, and preparation of welding procedures for Code work. The applicant has to have a very good understanding of failure analysis techniques, thermal treatments, and metallurgical analysis. In addition, the applicant must have a good understanding of general manufacturing and processing.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS
- Certified Welding Inspectors(CWI) welding expertise*
- Licensed and Registered Professional Engineer (P.E.) in Louisiana (preferred) and/or Texas*
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- BACHELOR of Metallurgy, Materials, Mechanical Engineering
- MASTERS of Business/Engineering/Metallurgy*
- Excellent Team Skills
- Effective Communicator both written and oral
- Strong Leadership
- Business Development Skills – Sales and Technical Author and Presenter
Ability to work efficiently with minimal supervision, ability to work in a team environment and adapt to changing priorities. Ability to assume increasing levels of responsibility. Proven ability to read, comprehend, and apply information from industry standards, technical manuals and other engineering reference materials. Ability to work in a team with a high regard for Quality Assurance and Environmental concerns. Has a strong commitment to Safety and Safe Production. Ability to manage staff. Ability to resolve technical problems. Ability to incorporate process control aspects, and manage compliance with operating practices.
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences, and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.